Orange Oranges

So I don't have a green thumb. I love plants, but we have a love hate relationship. So imagine my surprise when our orange tree fruited! Two oranges, one big and one small. 



Benefits of Oranges
There are MANY benefits but really, what are some juicy facts and what can you do with them?

1. Snacking
Sugar addiction? Fight it with orange power! Oranges have simple sugars (fructose), but the orange has a glycemic index of 40.  Which is low. So, as long as you don’t eat a lot of oranges at one time, they won’t spike your blood sugar and you can have your sugar hit along with fibre, vitamin C and a whole lot of other goodies.

2. Firewall for your body
Cancer prevention, kidney disease, lowers cholesterol, better vision, heart health...the list goes on. Without going into the science too deeply, the orange is just a natural fire wall for all those baddies. When in doubt just eat them. Omnomnomnomnom.  

3. Navel Oranges are named after the belly button shape near the bottom!

4. Rind?
So you've eaten the fleshy goodness...but the rind? Don't let that go to waste! Candy it - it tastes AMAZING. Make sure it's thoroughly washed and nice and dry first though. Zest it and be all fancy in your meals, it adds a nice zing. Alternatively you could make orange water, instead of lemon water. See my recipe here. Nice and simple. 

5. Pith
Ewwwww. The white stuff. That is where all the fibre is so suck it up and chow that down. You can slice it thinly and chuck it into a salad with orange slices with a topping of orange zest. Delish!

LC 









0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Fellow Bloggers

About

I am a girl, last time I checked. I love food, friends and family and sports that involve orange balls with lines with back boards. I'm arty and have a hate-hate relationship with math.
I live under a rock, don't have a phone and am down right crazy awesome.

I go to bed at 8 and like my sleep. ♥

Work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt and dance like no one is watching. - Randall G Leighton